Khatte Aloo, also known as Khattay Aloo or Tangy Potatoes, is a popular Pakistani and Indian side dish that features boiled potatoes cooked in a tangy and spicy sauce. Here’s a recipe for Khatte Aloo:
- 4-5 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the boiled potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, green chili, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potato pieces to the pan and mix well to coat with the masala. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little water if the mixture is too dry. Cover the pan and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.