Lahori Chargha is a delicious and flavorful Pakistani chicken dish that is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. It is made by marinating a whole chicken in a blend of spices and then deep frying or baking it until golden brown. Here’s a recipe for Lahori Chargha:
- 1 whole chicken, skin on, washed and pat dried
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, yogurt, and lemon juice.
- Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Slit the chicken at several places with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate.
- Apply the marinade to the chicken, making sure to coat it well.
- Cover the chicken with a cling wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a baking tray with oil and place the marinated chicken on it.
- Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through, turning the pieces over once halfway through the cooking time.
- Alternatively, heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully lower the chicken into the oil and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the chicken on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with mint chutney and naan bread.
Enjoy your delicious Lahori Chargha!